PFAS – Fire Training Ground Water Treatment
CUSTOMER: Australian Defense
LOCATION: Western Australia
Treat Leaching PFAS from Fire Training Ground for Safe Environmental Discharge
- Military Base
- Fire training simulation grounds
- Previously used AFFF (PFAS firefighting foam) onsite
The fire training ground was experiencing leaching of PFAS from the concrete training pads. A legacy issue caused by previous use of Aqueous Fire Fighting Foam (AFFF) had saturated into the concrete over the years. Leaching of PFAS would occur whenever fire training would take place or during inclement weather, requiring wastewater to be treated for compliant discharge.
The Australian Defense requires a no-waste solution to prevent any legacy issues in the future.
Site required not only removal of PFAS but also the capability to remove hydrocarbons, fuels, organo-metals and suspended solids. Maintenance costs, waste and availability of space were also a consideration for the selection of the treatment system.
Wastewater from the training grounds is collected into a triple interceptor and via a floating suction is drawn into the OLEOLOGY PWTS (PFAS Water treatment System). Treatment begins with sequenced filter housings (MXH) with varying MyCelx filters to remove emulsified hydrocarbons, organo-metals, fine solids and concentrated or higher levels of PFAS compounds, this pre-filtering is key to waste reduction and to extend the lifespan of the final polishing stage.The final stage; Performer Media is able to remove the very low-level PFAS compounds to produce a safe (below detection) and compliant discharge.
To minimize the installation and commissioning costs the treatment plant is containerized, fully tested and ready for site connection, significantly reducing work at site.
After 16 months of operation, the system had doubled the proposed amount of wastewater treated while staying under the maintenance budget and only producing one half of a pallet of dry filters (ready for incineration).
Benefits and Impact
- All precursors and analytes removed to well below regulation levels
- Protection of future liability
- No Sludge or Wet Waste – ONLY a Dry and Safe Waste – Thermally oxidized
- Safe to Store and Transport
- Minimal Running Costs and Human Intervention
- Exceeds low level compliance for Safe Environmental Discharge
- Very small footprint and low power consumption (System Operate only 1x Centrifugal Pump 1.5kW)